tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 08 20:31:34 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: Hov (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Okrand wrote in TKD (p. 20):
> [...]

lay'tel SIvten:
> >> Except that {yo'} is given in original TKD as a noun meaning "fleet (of
> >> ships)", which clearly contradicts the paragraph cited above.

Voragh:
> > He says it has nothing to do with *space* vehicles.  Presumably he meant
> > that {yo'} originally referred to an *ocean-going* fleet and was only
> later
> > applied analogously to spacecraft, which is generally what we've done in
> > English.

lay'tel:
>But it obviously has to do with fleets, which means it has to do with
>Starfleet.

No.  Starfleet is merely the proper name of the Terran space defense force
later applied to that of the Terran-dominated Federation.  The fact that
"fleet" is an element in the word is irrelevant.  It would be like saying
the American Union Army has to do with unions, which means it has to do
with labor unions.

Okrand's point was that these three words have no inherent connection
specifically with *space* ships, not that there's no connection to any
other type of primitive ship or fleet.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons