tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 17 10:21:48 2005

Re: tlhingan-hol Digest V2 #16

JuDmoS ([email protected])

In a message dated 1/17/05 04:21:59 Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> >maHIv'egh.
> >We attack each other.
>
> The suffix for "each other" is /-chuq/.  /-'egh/ is "myself".

There it is, ladies and gentlemen, personal stupid repeated mistake number
500. Hopefully, 100 is a loooooong way off.

> >vIDuq.  vIDuQqa'. vIDuQqa'.
> >I stab it. I stab it again. I stab it again. (is there a way to say=20
> >"repeatedly"?)
>
> I understood that to mean "I stab it repeatedly" or "I stab it over and =
> over
> again."

I really couldn't find another way to say it...but it appears to have carried
the connotation, then.

> >mamuvta' Ha'DibaH jIH je.
> >The animal and I are joined.
>
> There's no rule that says you have to declare an object with /muv/, but =
> my
> mind wants one.  I don't know if /mamuvchuqta' Ha'DIbaH jIH je/ is any
> better ... I think this is an abstract idea (you don't mean you've =
> become
> physically merged with the animal, do you?)

not exactly...I mean to say something like that the animal's essence, it's
fierceness, it's feral nature... is now a part of me.
tiqwIjDaq Ha'DIbaH qa' , mebbe ?

       which might be difficult to > express (except poetically) in Klingon.

 You say "poetically" like it's a Bad Thing(tm).

Then again, it's late and my

> Klingon is getting rusty.  :)  If you want to make a reference to the =
> hunter
> eating the prey's heart to gain its strength, it might be better to say =
> just
> that: /gheD HoS vIHev./

That would work well...dunno...lessee what the experts think.. Guys?

> >naQ yaywIj.
> >My victory is complete.
>
> I understood this, but I think it's too noun-driven to be good Klingon.  =
> think something like /jIQapchu'ta'/ "I have succeeded/won completely" =
> would
> be better here.
> I agree. That captures the essence of what I wanted to say, in a very
> Klingon way.

> I'd say you did a great job writing this story.

qatlho'. muquvmoH mu'meylIj.

And, as always, if =

> anyone
> knows better than I (and I'm sure y'all do!) and can correct or refine =
> my
> suggestions, please go right ahead.  Keep writing, juDmoS!

Heck, who am I to deny a command like that ? Without an imperative prefix,
even!

juDmoS

Back to archive top level