tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 15 23:00:52 2005

Re: tlhingan-hol Digest V2 #11

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' juDmoS:

>Firstly, allow me to apologize for the delay in this follow-up. (Real life
>can be SO annoying). I've >been on and off the list for a while,
>occasionally offering a translated word, phrase, etc. here and >there, and
>learning in the process.

qay'be'. All part of the process.

>Many of you have been helpful. During my last protracted absence, I
>discovered another Klingon >language venue. My interest renewed and
>redoubled. I undertook a task for which I was ill->prepared, and did so in
>a hurried fashion. Not only did I make numerous typographical and
> >grammatical errors, I also made stupid mistakes that I have made before
>(and should have known >better).

I don't think any of us are immune to that, right? :)

>jISo'meH Daq vISamnISmo'
>bIQ latlh DopDaq HIlup.

"Because I need to find a place to hide, transport me to the other side of
the water." maj.

>wIjwI' puqbe' vIngaghpu'
>'ej vav quv vItIchqu'.

Now I see what you were getting at. This is all correct. Just remember that
{vav quv} only means "the father's honour"; to be a bit more precise, say
{vavDaj quv} "her father's honour". And "I sure did hurt his pride" would
probably be better expressed as {vItIchbej}.

>ghaHvo' jIHDaq Deb wa'vatlh qelI'qammey lutu'lu'.
>tugh poH vIghajbe'mo' jISopnISbe' ej jItlhutlhnISbe'.

Again, all correct. I'm still unsure about whether you can use {poH} in this
way, but it seems about as good as it will get. Another suggestion: in
HolQeD 12:2, we got the verb {Dor} "to end, to come to an end". You might
want to use that, because it's perfect here: {tugh Dormo' poHvam} "because
this period of time will end soon".

>jIQuptaHvIS muHoH vIq, HoH, HIq, be'pu' je'.
>jIqettaH. jISo'taH. jIlujtaH. jISaQtaH.
>ratlh pagh.  yInwIj neH vItoDnIS.
>HuDDaq jIQamtaHvIS lalDan vIlajQo'.
>qo'wIj 'oH qo'vam'e' 'e' vIQubbej.
>jISuDpu' 'ej jIQaghqu'pu'.

All looks OK. I like the fact that you've used {vIq} rather than {may'},
too.

>jInIHtaH 'ach jIje'nIStaHqu'.

I'd have thought the emphasis should rather be on {je'}. In
{jIje'nIStaHqu'}, the emphasis is on the continuing of the action, whereas
in {jIje'qu'nIStaH} the emphasis is on the action itself. But that's a
matter of semantics, and the sentence is grammatical either way.

>Take me across the water
>because I need a place to hide I done the rancher's daughter and I sure did
>hurt his pride.
>There's a hundred miles of desert lies between his hide and mine
>I don't need no food or no water, because I'm running out of time.
>Fighting, killing, wine and women will put me in an early grave
>Running, hiding, losing, crying. Nothing left to save but my life.
>I stood on a ridge and shunned religion,
>thinking the world was mine I made my break and a big mistake Stealing when
>I should have been buying.
>
>(Old Uriah Heep song, "Stealin'")

taH:
> >jIQuptaHvIS muHoH SuvtaH, HoHtaH, HIq, be'pu' je'
jIjangpu':
>"While I am stupid, fighting, killing, alcohol and women will kill me"?
jang:
>Actually, here the verb Qup (be young) was used..(be stupid) is QIp..(but
>so often, the two are used interchangeably, yes? "Back when I was young and
>stupid..."

ghuy'cha'! jIQIp. {{:) You've done well here. majQa'!

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je