tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 06 08:35:55 2005

ghojmeH boQwI'

Qov ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

jabbI'IDvam vIHev. DochHa'mo' labwI' 'ej ghaytan ghojwI'vaD lI'mo' De', tlhIHvaD vIlabqa'.

And a note regarding the title of the software program, and to anyone thinking along the lines that discouraged chepqu':

Make no mistake: learning a language, even a harsh, fun language like Klingon is work. Some people learn it very quickly, because they have experience learning languages and they know exactly where to apply that work, and they work hard. Some people read the materials but do no progress because they are expecting the language to percolate into their brains without their stir. That only happens to babies and small children, and even so, the babies work at it: practicing the sounds with babbling, talking all the time, and trying out the words they hear adults use.

If you're not willing to do the work, you're still welcome to hang out on the list, but please don't imply that we the Klingonists are in some way failing you. You are failing yourself.

Dear Robyn,

I?m a member of the product development team at Transparent Language, Inc. We?re a software developer that specializes in language learning, and we?ve recently released some free language software online: it?s an enhanced flash card program called ?Before You Know It? that uses rote leaning to teach vocabulary.

I noticed online your involvement in supporting the Klingon language, which is great. Although the free version of Before You Know It can only be downloaded with French, Spanish, Italian, and German content, users with the full version of BYKI can create their own content in any language and share it with any number of users that have the free version. (For instance, if the KLI produced weekly phrase lists, all members could view and learn them at no cost.)

Because you are a member of an online language community, I was wondering if you had any suggestions or thoughts concerning how to make Before You Know It familiar with language enthusiasts on the Web, or how to shape this project into a more useful tool for educators, students, and anyone else who wants to speak another language.

You can find the free versions of Before You Know It at <http://www.byki.com/freedownload>http://www.byki.com/freedownload. If you could take five minutes to explore, I would greatly appreciate hearing your feedback? Otherwise, have a good new year!

Evan Quinlan
Intern, Product Development
Transparent Language, Inc.
12 Murphy Drive