tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 23 11:47:26 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: qompogh (noun)

Raik Lorenz ([email protected])

> > > Maybe more like in the German "Kompott", which is, to my native
> > > speaker knowledge, some type of dessert consisting of fruit in
> > > its own juice, mainly.
> >
> >It's in English too, as "compote", which is fruit in syrup.
> >
> > > If there's a pun intendet, it's probably pretty restrictedly
> > > understandable, as meseems "Kompott" to be a regionally
> > > restricted - i.e. there where I come from - vocabulary item
> > > of German
>
> Hardly.  I've had compote both here in the USA and in the old Soviet Union
> in the 1970s, where I'm told it was a fairly common desert (and simple to
> prepare in mass quantities).

Interesting. So this might mean, that I'm not really grown up at the a** of
the world? I always thought so... :)
But we had a Sovit Military base and Uranium mines nearby (yes, some ammount
of the Cold War Nuclear counter-threat against the Western World originated
in my very hometown... *s*) during GDR times, so maybe the word came into
Russian? Or from Russian? Does anybody know about it's etymology?

(also see: http://www.klingenthal.de , if you REALLY want to know about the
location...
This is also the place once - and probably only once - referred to as
"Klingon Valley" - of course pun intended, and not any copyright violation,
I suppose... *g*)

> This is clearly one of his double puns:  1) with "compote" because it's a
> mixture of fruit (or vegetables) with or without some meat! and 2) with
> "compost" because the organic mixture has to be left to ferment before
> it's
> ready.
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Savan,
-- qIno'rIq

--
Lassen Sie Ihren Gedanken freien Lauf... z.B. per FreeSMS
GMX bietet bis zu 100 FreeSMS/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail

Back to archive top level