tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 16 15:26:27 2005

Re: translation help: Qun'a' puqloD pong

QeS lagh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu':
>'ach *Hebrew* Hol pong 'oH *Jesus* pong'e' 'e' vIHar.

jang lay'tel SIvten:
>bImujlaw'.

In my previous post, I accepted that. Remember that Klingon doesn't
generally permit an aspect suffix on a verb with {'e'}; what I meant was "I
*had* believed that...", and not "I believe that..." I was very nearly going
to say {'e' vIHarpu'} anyway, just so I'd make myself clear.

If you read my previous post again, you'll see that I conceded I was wrong
*immediately* after the sentence you quoted above.

>DIvI' Hol pong *Jesus* lulo' DIvI' Hol jatlhwI'pu'.
>*Greek/Elliniki* Hol pong *Iesous* lulo' *Greek/Elliniki* Hol jatlhwI'pu'.
>*Hebrew/'Ivrit* Hol pong *Yeshua'* lulo' *Hebrew/'Ivrit* Hol jatlhwI'pu'.

Yes, I'm already aware of the etymology of the name. :) And to be pedantic,
we actually borrowed the form from Latin: IESVS.

If you've been following the thread, you'll know that this is what we've
been talking about. You misunderstand me when I said {*Hebrew* Hol pong 'oH
*Jesus* pong'e'} - which simply means "Jesus' name was a Hebrew name". Now,
if I'd said {*Hebrew* Hol pong 'oH pong *Jesus*'e'} "The name "Jesus" was a
Hebrew name", I would be wrong (note the difference in word order). But
Jesus' name - his real name, {Yeshu'a} - I had thought *was* from Hebrew.
Voragh tells me that it isn't, and that it's originally Aramaic; I'm happy
to accept that.

But even if I update the sentence to {*Aramaic* Hol pong 'oH *Jesus*
pong'e'), I still stand by its correctness. The structure of the sentence
means I'm not talking about the name "Jesus", rather, I'm talking about
Jesus' name. (Which, as we can see, clearly wasn't Jesus. :D)

>*yeSuwa'* vIchup jIH.

wejHu' vIchuppu'qu'.
I suggested this three days ago.

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Need a credit card fast? Apply now! Must be over 18. AU only:
http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/clk;11046970;10638934;f?http://www.anz.com/aus/promo/first0105ninemsn/default.asp

Back to archive top level