tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 09 15:08:37 2005

Re: qaSmoH

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>And {raD} doesn't capture the sense I had in mind.

jang Voragh:
>Really?  What's the difference between "I will make you open your blouse"
>and "I will compel you to open your blouse"?

I think I understand what lay'SIv is getting at here. {raD} "force, compel"
seems to have a connotation of force, or an action against someone's will,
that {qaSmoH} doesn't have. In most languages, causatives don't have any
connotation of forcing - just that the actions of the subject give the
result of another action happening. The "make"-causative in English (as in
"I'll make you eat"), unfortunately, can be used either way, which muddies
the distinction. English used to have a "have"-causative that was only used
in that way; it's now obsolete, but which I think helps to clarify the
distinction as I believe lay'SIv sees it:

{QInvam HIj 'e' yIqaSmoH} would be "Have him deliver this letter."
{QInvam HIj 'e' yIraD} would be "Make him deliver this letter."

Savan,

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

It's easy to send photos with Hotmail. Click here to find out how:
http://www.imagine-msn.com/Hotmail/Post/Communicate/SendPhotos.aspx

Back to archive top level