tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 05 05:13:15 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: chaQ (verb)

In a message dated 2005-02-04 6:34:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Looking to canon, I found three examples of verbs + {-Ha'moH} with objects:
>
>    nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH
>    Where can I get my shoes cleaned? TKD
>
>    qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'
>    I've taken off my belt (HQ 2.4)]

HQ 2 is one of the issues I don't have, so I can't check this, but shouldn't
{-Ha'} precede {-moH}?  {qogh vItuQHa'moHpu'} means to me "I undressed the
belt" (i.e., "I took clothes off the belt"), which is bizarre.  Who wrote this
example?

> Here, when used with an thing in mind, the grammatical object is the thing,
> not the person associated with the thing.
>
>    qaStaHvIS wej puq poHmey vav puqloDpu' puqloDpu'chaj je quvHa'moH vav
> quvHa'ghach
>    The dishonor of the father dishonors his sons and their sons for three
> generations. TKW
>
> Here, since there is thing, the grammatical object is the person affected.

The difference here is that {quv} is a state verb which takes no object, so
by adding {-moH} there is no possibility of there being a second object.  Same
with {lam}.  {tuQ} and {chagh}, though, both can take objects on their own, so
adding {-moH} causes this uncertainty about the second object.

> If you want to refer both to the person and the object, it seems we have
> two models:
>
>    yIvbeHlIj neH DapoSmoH vIneH.
>    The only thing I want you to open is your blouse. (ST5 notes)
>
> A SAO with {neH} "want".

Okay, but how then "I will make you open your blouse"?  We can't add {-moH}
to {poSmoH}, and we don't have a word for "to cause", just the suffix {-moH}.
({yIvbeHlIj DapoSmoH; 'e' vIqaSmoH}?)

>    tuQtaHvIS Hem.  ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
>    He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20
>
> This one is a bit trickier.  The subject of {qawmoH} is {Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh
> wo'rIv} "the sash which Worf wears" from a previous sentence in S20.  The
> literal meaning seems to be something on the line of "for Worf [the sash]
> calls to mind his heritage" or "for Worf [the sash] serves as a reminder of
> his heritage".

Yes, I have trouble with this sentence.  *sigh*

> --
> Voragh

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level