tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 03 09:37:58 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: chaQ (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

    There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with
    bat'leth use. To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for
    example, is {jop}. To deflect a thrust--that is, to parry--is
    {way'}. To thrust either end of the bat'leth (as opposed to the
    long part of the blade) upward is {chaQ}. To change the approxi-
    mate orientation of the weapon from horizontal to vertical is
    {ngol}; the reverse is {lev}.  [KGT 59-60]

    To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for example, is {jop}.
    To deflect a thrust - that is, to parry - is {way'} ... When
    teaching someone to use the bat'leth, the tutor will shout out
    movements - for example, {yIjop! yIway'!} ("Lunge! Defend!").
    [KGT 59]

lay'tel SIvten:
>Any idea what thrusting upward with the long part of the blade is called?

Voragh:
> > You mean pushing the blade horizontally towards the opponent like a
> > policeman pushing back a crowd with his baton?  If I understand it
> > correctly, that's {jop}:

lay'tel SIvten:
>No, I'm thinking more along the lines of lifting a barbell:  raising the
>batleH held horizontally between both hands, perhaps as ... a victory cheer.

Okrand hasn't said specifically but, as I said, there's probably a lot more
technical bat'leth terminology than just the two short paragraphs in
KGT.  I would use {jop} for this, but if you don't like {jop} - and keep in
mind that thrusting and parrying with a bat'leth is different than with a
conventional long bladed sword - you could use {-moH} (cause) with any of
these:

{chong} "be vertical"
{SaS}   "be horizontal"
{nech}  "be lateral, move laterally";
{pep}   "raise"
{Sal}   "ascend"

>... as prelude to smashing it down on a victim ...

{chagh} "drop"
{ghIr}  "descend"
{pum}   "fall". Cf. the idiom {pumDI' ('etlh)} "by then, by that time":

   The longer version consists of {pumDI'} followed by a subject
   noun specifying what falls. The most common noun heard is {'etlh}
   "sword, blade" (thus: {pumDI' 'etlh}, literally "when the blade
   falls"). Presumably the expression originally referred to a fight
   between two combatants wielding bladed weapons. The time at which
   one of them dropped the weapon and was thus defeated (or was as
   good as defeated) was a significant moment. (st.k 11/05/99)

There's also {ghuS} "lower (spear) to horizontal to attack":

   Some spears are simply thrust into an oncoming enemy. Others are
   generally thrown. The thrower first lowers the spear to a horizontal
   position (the verb describing this action is {ghuS}), then hurls it
   with great force ("throw" or "hurl" in this manner is {chuH}).
   (KGT 64)

Okrand says this is another of those terms "associated with spears" (KGT
65), but it may be possible to use it for a bat'leth too.  In a pinch, a
sword can be used or even thrown like a short spear.

>... blocking an attacker's move ...

Isn't that what {way'} "parry" means:  "to deflect a thrust" (KGT 59)?  If
not, we also have
{bot} "prevent, block, prohibit" and {waQ} "obstruct"); cf.

   Dubotchugh yIpummoH
   If it's in your way, knock it down. TKW

I can imagine this being said WRT knocking your opponent's blade out of
his/her hand.  (Do we have a better verb for "slap/knock something out of
someone's hand"?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons