tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 03 07:38:44 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: chaQ (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, February 3, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   chaQ
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     thrust upward with end of [bat'leth]

Never used in a sentence.

>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 60: To thrust either end of the [bat'leth] (as opposed to the lon=
g=20
>part of the blade) upward is {chaQ}.

More bat'leth vocabulary:

   There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with
   bat'leth use. To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for
   example, is {jop}. To deflect a thrust=ADthat is, to parry--is
   {way'}. To thrust either end of the bat'leth (as opposed to the
   long part of the blade) upward is {chaQ}. To change the approxi-
   mate orientation of the weapon from horizontal to vertical is
   {ngol}; the reverse is {lev}. To slide the blade of one's bat'leth
   along the blade of the opponent's weapon is {DIj}. To twirl or
   rotate the bat'leth is {jIrmoH} and to toss it from one hand to
   the other (the same word is used whether left to right or right
   to left) is {baQ}.  [KGT 59-60]

Two more general verbs WRT swordplay are {yan} "wield, use or manipulate =
a=20
sword" and {jej} "be sharp".

Useful nouns for describing your bat'leth include {'etlh} "blade" and=20
{ret'aq} "handle, hilt".

   A weapon that is particularly good, that is well designed and well
   constructed, is normally described as {vaQ}. Thus, a {taj vaQ} is
   a meticulously made knife and a {ghanjaq vaQ} is an especially nice
   mace. In speaking about a fine weapon, one could compliment it even
   further by adding the emphatic {-qu'} to {vaQ}. A really spectacular
   *bat'leth* would be a {betleH vaQqu'}.  [KGT 67]

We don't know what the four sharp tips of the bat'leth are called - no=20
doubt it's specialized vocabulary - but the sharp tip (spearhead) of a=20
spear is called the {QIn}.  {DuQwI'} "spike" is also a possibility.  The=20
general words for either end of a bat'leth (or any other long object) are=
=20
{'er'In} and {megh'an}, used together.

--
Voragh