tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 01 06:10:52 2005

Re: HolQeD chu' Hevlu''a'?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlh Voragh:
>Chicago vengDaq vIDab 'ej vaghHu' vIHev.

jang ngabwI':
>{Chicago vengDaq}... Does {Dab} take {-Daq}? (Honestly asking, I've been
>saying {Tampa vIDab} for a while. If I'm wrong, I want to know.)

Hm. I think I'm going to get into a long-winded explanation. {{:)

Short version: {Tampa vIDab} is grammatical, and is roughly equivalent to
{TampaDaq vIDab}, both meaning "I live in Tampa".

Long version: We know from a startrek.klingon posting by MO (19 July 1999)
that {Dab} can definitely be used without {-Daq}: see the last part of
http://klingonska.org/canon/1999-07-19.txt.

But *with* {-Daq}? My personal opinion on this is that {Dab} is one of the
verbs of location that MO talks about in the interview in HolQeD 7:4, which
explicitly include {ghoS}, {leng}, {'el}, {paw} and {jaH}; all of these can
accept {-Daq} and a {vI-} prefix simultaneously. Of course, all the verbs
that he says are optional vis-a-vis {-Daq} are verbs of motion *to* a
location, where {Dab} is just a verb of location. I'm not sure whether that
makes a difference or not; the article is pretty vague on that.

But on the basis of this interview, I'd say that they're roughly equivalent
(and both grammatical), with {Tampa vIDab} being unmarked and {TampaDaq
vIDab} marked. To quote MO from HolQeD 7:4: "...if you did say {pa'Daq
vI'el} "I entered into the room," you could say, well, that's overkill, but
that's okay."

</long-and-drawn-out-version>

So: I have no problem with either. Others may differ; I'd like to hear some
other interpretations.

>'ej jaj wa', HolQeDwIj chu' vIHevta'. jangbogh Hoch Satlho'.

qay'be'. nI'qu'be' chovnatlhvam, 'ach Daj. Quj chu' tu'lu'!

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Are you right for each other? Find out with our Love Calculator:
http://fun.mobiledownloads.com.au/191191/index.wl?page=191191text

Back to archive top level