tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 29 07:48:47 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: jav (number)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, December 29, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   jav
>Part of Speech: number
>Definition:     six
>Source: TKD (90 KE, 153 EK)

He pagh-pagh-vagh-jav-pagh-jav yInab
Plot course 0.0.5.6.0.6. (ST5 notes)

jav Hogh maH Qo'noSvo'
We am... Six weeks out of Kronos. (sic!) ST6

jav pu'HIchmey tIn
six big phasers CK

HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
[This ship was demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6 but it was destroyed.
(untranslated)] S33

jav 'ujmey 'ab SuvwI'
the warrior has a length of six ujs
the warrior stands six ujs
the warrior is six ujs tall. (st.klingon 10/22/97)

loSmaH jav vI' Soch loS 'uj 'ab meH
Bridge Height: 16.28 M.  KBoP

qughtaHvIS toQDuj HutmaH vI' jav wa' 'uj 'ab 'oH
Cruise Formation Height: 31.56 M.  KBoP

SaqtaHvIS toQDuj wa'vatlh loS vI' jav chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH
Landing Formation Height: 36.46 M.  KBoP

muDDaq 'eDSeHcha lulaQlu'bogh: jav
Atmospheric Take-Off/Landing Thrusters ? 6.  KBoP

javmaH tat chu'wI' vIneHbej
I definitely want sixty ion triggers. PK

javvatlh rep
06.00 hours CK

>Homonyms:
>     jav (noun) - sixth tone of nonatonic scale

"The independent words for the numbers three through nine were not
originally a part of the Klingon counting system, but they had to come from
somewhere. The musical scale is the likely source. The word for the fourth
musical tone, {loS}, began to be used for the number four, and so on
through the eighth tone, {chorgh}." (KGT 73)

>     jav (noun) - prisoner (slang)

"The origin of this slang usage of {jav} (literally, "six") is unknown. The
usual word for "prisoner" is {qama'} .... [{luH}] literally means "yank"
and is used in such sentences as {jav luHpu' 'avwI'} ("The guard has caused
a prisoner to confess"--literally, "The guard has yanked a six")." (KGT 153)

Note the pun:  Patrick McGoohan played Number Six in the TV show "The
Prisoner."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons