tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 22 07:24:46 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: meH (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, December 22, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   meH
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     bridge (of a ship)

As used in canon:

   meH, naDev qaS wanI' ramqu'
   Bridge, nothing happening here. (ST3)

   loSmaH jav vI' Soch loS 'uj 'ab meH
   Bridge Height: 16.28 M.  (KBoP)

Mentioned passim in KGT:

   In particular, Clipped Klingon is heard in situations where
   quick communication is desirable and certain phrases are
   expected to be heard, such as on the bridge of a ship during
   a battle.  (KGT 173)

   A ritual of a less majestic sort occurs on a Klingon vessel
   when a new set of officers takes over and a mission is about
   to begin. With the bridge crew assembled but the captain not
   yet present, the first officer states his or her name and
   then says {DaH yaS wa'DIch vIgheS} ("I now take my place as
   first officer" or, literally, "Now I assume the responsibi-
   lities of first officer").  [....]  (KGT 183-4)

I have no idea whether {meH} can be used elsewhere, such as for the command
center of a military base or space station (e.g. Deep Space Nine {logh Hop
Hut tengchaH}).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons