tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 19 08:09:20 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: lor (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, December 17, 2005.
>>
>>Klingon word:   lor
>>Part of Speech: noun
>>Definition:     cousin; the child of one's {'IrneH} ("uncle") or one's
>>{'e'mam} ("aunt").
>>
>>Synonyms: tey'

QeS la':
>Only insofar as both are glossed as the English word "cousin". {lor} and
>{tey'} are not synonyms in Klingon; not only that, they are mutually
>exclusive.
>
>{vIn} is a synonym of both {lor} and {tey'}.

   {vIn}, in its plural form {vInpu'}, is used for a group consisting
   of at least one {tey'} and no one who is not a {lor} or a {tey'}.
   Thus {vInpu'} may be translated "cousins, nieces, nephews." If it's
   not a mixed group, then, of course, the plural forms of {lor} and
   {tey'} would be used ({lorpu'}, {tey'pu'}). [...] The singular form,
   {vIn}, is also sometimes used in place of {lor} or {tey'} when focus-
   ing on the {vIn} as a member of a group of {vInpu'} as opposed to his
   or her specific relationship to the speaker.  [HQ 9.3:8]

For reference:

{lor}  "cousin" (i.e. mother's brother's child or father's sister's child);
"niece/nephew" (i.e. man's sister's child or woman's brother's child)

{lorbe'}  "female cousin" (i.e. mother's brother's daughter or father's
sister's daughter), "niece" (i.e. man's sister's daughter or woman's
brother's daughter)

{lorloD}  "male cousin" (i.e. mother's brother's son or father's sister's
son), "nephew" (i.e. man's sister's son or woman's brother's son)

{yur}  "distant cousin, niece or nephew" (second cousin, grand-nephew,
etc.).  The singular form is never used in place of {tey'} or {lor}, but
the plural may be used for a group including {tey'} and/or {lor}, so long
as there is at least one more distance cousin, niece or nephew in the
group:  "{vInpu'} might also be used if the speaker is unsure about the
makeup of the group (but sure enough to know that {vInpu'} is a better
choice than {yurpu'}." [HQ 9.3:8]

So... {vIn} "[close] cousin/niece/nephew" vs. {yur} distant
cousin/niece/nephew".  I remember this by thinking of the movie title "My
Cousin Vinnie" - the guy who's close enough to always be asking you for
favors. <g>

(BTW, has anybody figured out a pun yet for {yur}?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level