tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 12 09:15:28 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: qang (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, December 11, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   qang
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     always agree with, always cooperate with (slang)
>Source: KGT (223 KE, 233 EK, 238 EK)

   The literal meaning of the verb {qang} is "pour into", though
   the slang usage is influenced by the verb suffix {-qang}
   ("willing"; compare {QaH}, "He/she helps", and {QaHqang},
   "He/she is willing to help"). The slang term may be found in
   such sentences as {jIHDaq Daqang} ("You always agree with me,
   you always cooperate with me"; literally, "You pour [something]
   into me"). To say that someone "pours" ("always agrees") is
   somewhat derogatory, implying that the agreeing or cooperating
   may be for ulterior motives. Nonslang equivalents of {qang},
   though lacking the negative connotation, are {reH Qochbe'}
   ("always agree"), {reH yeq} ("always cooperate"), and {reH jIj}
   ("always be cooperative").  (KGT 159)

>Homonyms:
>     qang (verb) - pour (from one container into another)

   Usually one will pour ({qang}) the drink directly from the {bal}
   into the {HIvje'}, but it is not considered uncivil to drink
   directly from the {bal} ... Some drinks are served in special
   containers, such as the {runpI'} ("teapot") used in the making
   of {Dargh} ("tea"), and are then poured into the appropriate
   {HIvje'}. (KGT 99)

   If the particular dish is somewhat soupy ... it will arrive at
   the table in a large bowl ({maHpIn}) and a diner will pour its
   contents into a smaller bowl ({Duq}), from which he or she will
   consume it. (KGT 99)

Note that in addition to the slang meaning, there's an idiom WRT {qang}:

   latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang!
   "Pour the cold bloodwine into another glass!"  KGT

   This means something along the lines of "I don't believe you;
   maybe someone else will" or "That is irrelevant to me; maybe
   someone else will care." The circumstances that prompted the
   first usage of this saying are unknown, but the imagery is
   pretty straightforward, especially with the understanding that
   bloodwine should never be served cold. The expression is always
   used in this imperative form ... A sentence such as {latlh
   HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang} ("I pour the cold bloodwine into
   another glass") would be interpreted only literally, though
   perhaps also as a statement about the poor quality of the beverage.
   [KGT 118]

Cf. also {lIch} "pour (into/onto anything)", {teb} "fill".

There are no examples of {lIch} in canon, but the difference between the
two seems to be that while {qang} is used for pouring liquid from one
container into another, {lIch} can be used for pouring something out in
general, e.g. pouring one's drink out onto the floor (we've seen Klingons
do this a couple of times in TNG as a sign of contempt, illustrating the
belief that a Klingon does not drink with an enemy.

Related verbs include {nIj} "leak" and {SoD} "flood".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level