tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 08 09:08:24 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: HoH (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, December 8, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   HoH
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     kill

luHoHta'
they have killed him/her TKD

luHoH rIntaH
They have killed him.  TKD

choHoHvIp
You are afraid to kill me. TKD

choHoHvIpbe'
You are not afraid to kill me. TKD

choHoHbe'vIp
You are afraid to not kill me. TKD

HIHoHvIpQo'
Don't be afraid to kill me! TKD

pIHoHvIpbe'qu'
We are not afraid to kill you. TKD

pIHoHvIpqu'be'
We are not afraid to kill you. TKD

pIHoHqu'vIpbe'
We are not afraid to kill you. TKD

wa' yIHoH
Kill one (of them)! TKD

bong yaS vIHoHpu'
I accidentally killed the officer. TKD

yaSpu' tIHoH
Kill the officers! TKD

bIjatlhHa'chugh qaHoH
qaHoH bIjatlhHa'chugh
If you say the wrong thing, I will kill you. TKD

jagh luHoHmeH jagh lunejtaH
They are searching for the enemy in order to kill him. TKD

qama'pu' DIHoH 'e' luSov
They know we kill prisoners. TKD

qama'pu' DIHoH net Sov
One knows we kill prisoners. TKD

wa' yIHoH.  jISaHbe'.
Kill one of them. I don't care which. ST3 [some heard {wa' HoH}]

quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh
A Klingon who kills without showing his face has no honor. TKW

Ha'DIbaH DaSop 'e' DaHechbe'chugh yIHoHQo'
Do not kill an animal unless you intend to eat it. TKW

tlhIngan ngoQmey chavmeH HoH tlhInganpu'
Klingons kill for their own purposes. TKW

maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'
We fight, we love, and then we kill. (Anthem)

Hoch jaghpu'Daj HoHpu'
He/she has killed all his/her enemies. KGT
[idiom used to describe a person who is leading a meaningless, empty life,
one lacking any challenge (KGT 107)]

Hoch jaghpu'Daj HoHbogh SuvwI' yIvup
"Pity the warrior who slays all his foes." KGT

pel'aQDaj ghorpa' qama' yIHoH
Before it breaks its shell, kill the prisoner
(i.e. "Kill the prisoner now, while you've got a chance") KGT

HeghDI' tlhIngan SuvwI' pagh tlhIngan SuvwI' HoHlu'DI'
When a Klingon warrior dies or is killed... S31

DaHjaj romuluSngan vIHoHpu'
Today I killed a Romulan. (st.klingon 6/97)

vIHoHpu'
I have killed him/her. (st.klingon 6/97)

qaHoH
I kill you. STC:KLS

loSmaH romulusngan SuvwI'pu' HoHta' qeng.
Kang killed 40 Romulan warriors. (IMO, HQ 8.3)

"A duel ends, normally, with death. It is often the case, however, that one
of the combatants will have been outmaneuvered and will find himself in a
position from which he clearly cannot recover. Should this occur, he will
probably shout out {baq}, a clipped form of {yIbaq} ("Terminate it!"). It
is not normal in this context for him to shout out something like {HIHoH}
("Kill me!"), even though this is what he means." (KGT 69)

"Other than that which is served alive, the best meat is {ghoQ} (fresh,
just killed)." (KGT 85)

"To kill gagh ({qagh HoH}), therefore, is counterproductive, to say the
least, and that is the notion this idiom conveys. The phrase is applied to
a person and means that he or she is doing something counterproductive:
{SuyDuj DaQaw'chugh qagh DaHoH} ("If you destroy the merchant ship, you
kill gagh")--that is, destroying the merchant ship is contrary to the best
interests of the current mission." (KGT 118)

Related verbs include {HoH'egh} "commit suicide", {chot} "murder", {muH}
"execute, put to death" and {Hay'} "duel".

>Homonyms:
>     HoH (noun) - killing

The noun has never been used in canon AFAIK.

The derived noun is {HoHwI'} "killer", which is used in KCD as an
abbreviation of the longer {romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'}
"Romulan hunter-killer probe".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons