tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 01 07:39:12 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: pIv (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >   yIpIv
> >   Be healthy!
> >   [Okrand sent Glen Proechel a "get well" letter when he was hospitalized
> >   for heart and kidney failure. "I don't know that this makes that phrase
> >   the 'official' way to wish someone health in Klingon,

QeS:
>I doubt it, in view of Okrand's explanation of imperative stative verbs in
>KGT (p.117). Okrand states that when one forms the imperative of stative
>verbs like {pIv}, {taD} and {tuj}, standard practice is to use a stative
>verb plus {-'eghmoH}: {yItaD'eghmoH} (rather than {yItaD}) is one example he
>cites.

Be that as it may, Okrand did write {yIpIv} on the card.  He may have been
thinking of the Yiddish phrase *Zei gezunt* "Be well!"  (Okay, so it's
colloquial.  So sue me! <g>)

Still, {tugh yIpIv'eghmoH} works perfectly for "Get well soon!"

> >   but it is consistent with the idea that sickness is considered a
> >weakness and a Klingon needs to be ordered to stay healthy." (Proechel,
> >3/98)
>
>I don't think a sick Klingon would *need* to be ordered to be healthy... a
>Klingon is never weak deliberately. {{:)

Very true, but that's culture not grammar.  Hmm... {yIpIvtaH} "Stay
healthy!" (?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons