tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 02 08:16:44 2005

Re: tuQ tuQmoH je

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

lay'tel:
>How are {tuQmoH} and {tuQHa'moH} used?
>They are glossed as "put on (clothes)" and "undress".

This is a very old question on the List.

>I used to think they meant "dress (someone else)" and "undress (someone
>else)", but now I don't know.
>
>qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quje'e' [sic: Ha'quj'e'] tuQbogh wo'rIv.
>The sash that Worf^TM^ wears is a symbol of his family's house. [card S20]
>
>tuQtaHvIS Hem.
>He wears it proudly ... [lit.: While he wears it, he is proud.] [card S20]
>
>{tuQ} alone is a transitive verb, and adding {-moH} makes me wonder who
>causes whom to wear what.

You cause *yourself* to wear something as it were.  (Personally, I would
have used {-choH} rather than {-moH}, but what can you do? <g>)

More examples of {tuQ}:

   mIv je DaS tuQ ra'wI'
   The commander is in full dress uniform (idiom)
   ("The commander wears helmet and boot.")  KGT

   mIv DaS je tuQ ra'wI'
   The commander is wearing a helmet and a boot. KGT

{tuQHa'moH} "undress, take off (clothes)" (also {tuQmoHHa'}?):

   {qogh} "ear", of course is homophonous with {qogh}, "belt"...
   This homophony explains why the Klingon slang expression {qogh
   tuQmoHHa'}, literally "take off one's belt" is used to mean
   "to not hear", for example, {qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'} "I've taken
   off my belt; your secret is safe with me."  [HQ 2.4]

AFAIK {tuQmoH} "dress" by itself (i.e. without {-Ha'}) has never been used
in canon.

{tuQ} seems to work this way:

   Sut vItuQ
   I wear/am wearing (the) clothing.

   Sut vItuQmoH
   I put (the) clothing on.

   Sut vItuQHa'moH
   I take (the) clothing off.

In the morning you would tell your child:

   yItuQmoH
   Get dressed!

   SutlIj yItuQmoH
   Put your clothes on!

But I'm not sure how you would refer to dressing someone else.  E.g.:

   ? ghu yItuQmoH
     Dress the baby! Get the baby dressed!

Perhaps Klingons rely idiomatically on context for this since the literal
translation "Put the baby on! Wear the baby!" is nonsense and would,
therefore, be automatically rejected as meaningless.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level