tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 01 08:13:33 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: DIvI' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, July 31, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   DIvI'
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     federation, organization

As used in canon:

   Qo'noSDaq paw cha' DIvI' beq
   Two Federation crewmen arrive on Kronos. PK

   He chu' ghoS.  DIvI' neHmaH.
   New course. Federation neutral zone. ST3

   qa'vam jan SeH DIvI'.
   [The Federation controls the Genesis Device.] (ST3 DVD case)

   vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'
   That means the Federation will be sending a rescue ship of its own. ST5

   reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH
   I've always wanted to engage a Federation ship. ST5

   DIvI' Se' wI'IjtaHvIS DaH ngoqDe' wIHevta'
   We've just received an encoded message on the Federation frequency. (ST5
notes) ST5

   DIvI' tamey ngo'
   Federation Archives STC

   jagh HIvrup SuvwI' Haqpa' DIvI' qeSwI'
   The warrior was prepared to attack the enemy until the Federation
advisor intervened. (KGT)

   SaS DIvI' HoD
   The Federation captain is shallow (slang) KGT

{DIvI' 'ejDo'}  "USS" (Federation registry)

   tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga'
    Duj tI'ang ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
   A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was
    encountered in the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

   DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'Daq Dajollu'
   Get beamed aboard the USS Enterprise. STX

{DIvI' Hol}  "Federation Standard" (i.e. English)

   DIvI' Hol Dajatlh'a'
   Do you speak Federation Standard? CK

{DIvI'may'Duj}  "Federation battle cruiser"

{yuQjIjDIvI'}  "The United Federation of Planets (UFP)" [synonym {yuQjIjQa'}]

>Additional Notes:
> From "Okrand's Notes," HolQeD 4:4 p. 11.  "Also 'association,' 'leage,'
> 'union.'"

   Some additional information has come to light regarding words
   relating to groups or assemblies. Among those words already
   well-known for different types of groups are: {boq} "alliance"
   (also "bloc" or "coalition", though "coalition" is sometimes
   {boq ru'}, literally "temporary alliance"); {DIvI'} federation
   or "organization" (also "association, league, union"); {ghom}
   "group" or "party" (also "band", in the nonmusical sense); [...]
   (also {ghom'a'}) "crowd". Add to this list: {tlhach} "faction"
   or "sect".

Cf. also {tum} "agency", {yejHaD} "institute/institution", {yej'an}
"(scholarly) society" and {nugh} "society (i.e. a group of people with a
shared culture)".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons