tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 22 08:10:30 2004

Re: Skype yISuq!

Quvar:
> > ghogh jonmeH jan lo''a' mIwvam (skype) qoj ghogh HablI'na' lo''a'?
> >   [....]
> > That's why I rephrased it the way I did.

ngabwI':
>And you rephrased it well, IMHO. This is exactly how I would have done it.
>It scanned easily, and was easily understood the first time. majQa'!

Agreed.  His recast is understandable, if needlessly redundant.  Why can't
you say:

   ghogh jonmeH jan, ghogh HablI'na' qoj lo''a' mIwvam (skype)?

> > Interestingly, I had never before noticed that in a sentence like "Do you
> > want coffee or tea?", you can't properly use the noun conjunctions {ghap}
> > or {joq} unless you want neither; the sentence is not a yes/no question.

Sure it is.  Using {-'a'} makes it a yes/no question:

   qa'vIn Dargh ghap DaneH?
   Do you want either coffee or tea?

   HIja'.
   Yes.  (I want either coffee or tea.)

   HIja', qa'vIn vIneH.
   Yes, I want coffee.

   HIja', Dargh vIneH.
   Yes, I want tea.

   ghobe'.
   No.  (I don't want either coffee or tea. )

   ghobe', vIneHbe'.
   No, I don't want either ("it/them").

   ghobe', qa'vIn Dargh ghap vIneHbe'.
   No, I don't want either coffee or tea.

Or am I being particularly dense this morning (since I haven't had any
coffee or tea myself yet)?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons