tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 17 08:44:10 2004

Re: just use it! (Re: jIb

In a message dated 2004-09-17 10:00:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> >> Because all the noncanon usage in the world doesn't matter one whit if
> >> you
> >> want to find out how to use the language. If you wish to find how the
> >> language is used, then noncanon is the way to go.
> >
> > Hunh?  I repeat: Hunh?
>
> I was afraid this might cause some confusion.
> Let's say you're in Germany, and you want to learn English. Now, if your
> primary concern is to find out how English is used by English-speaking
> people ("find out how to use the language"), then you would study the speech
> of English-speakers. If your goal is to find out how other German people who
> have learned English use it ("how the language is used") then you'll want to
> study the writings of non-native English speakers. A little clearer? (If
> not, let me know, I'll try again.)

I suspect  the distinction you're making is between proper speech and actual
speech.  In any case, I want to know both: how to speak proper Klingon (and
recognize it as such), as well as speak it (or at least understand it) the way
other speakers of Klingon speak it.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level