tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 08 07:42:31 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: chaq (adv)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, September 6, 2004.
>
>Klingon word:   chaq
>Part of Speech: adverb
>Definition:     perhaps
>
>Canon:
>PK Insert
>{De' lI' Sovlu'DI' chaq Do'Ha'}
>Knowledge of useful information may be unfortunate.

As used in canon:

   chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH
   [Perhaps I'd like to buy something from you. (untranslated)] PK

   yIlop! wa'leS chaq maHegh!
   Celebrate! Tomorrow we may die! TKW

   Heghtay lulop latlh tlhInganpu'. Heghtay luloptaHvIS chaH chaq bey
   SeQ lujach
   other Klingons may perform a ceremonial howl or yell as part of the
   Klingon death ritual. S31

   boq lucherDI' tlhIngan wo' romuluS Hov wo' je So'wI' cham Suqpu'
   tlhIngan wo'. chaq tampu'. chaq romuluSnganpu'vaD pIvghor cham
   lunobpu' tlhInganpu'
   Cloaking technology was gained through an alliance with the Romulan
   Star Empire, possibly in exchange for Warp Drive technology. S33

Cf. also {qIt}/{DuH} "be possible" and the suffix {-laH} "able".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level