tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 27 18:10:58 2004

"dozens" (wa'maHmey?)

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

Wow.  I wanted to participate in the "action verbs vs. qualities"
and "core semantic case roles" threads, but as I was restricting
myself to using only Klingon, I didn't have the speed to catch
up with the messages.  Everything I wanted to say was already
said by someone else by the time I could figure out a way to say
it in Klingon!

I wanted to write a message to the effect that "you guys are
going so fast you're written dozens of messages before I can
reply!"  Then that got me to thinking, "Can we pluralize numbers
in Klingon?"

<wa'maH QIn boqonta'> "You (pl) have composed ten messages"
<*wa'maHmey QIn boqonta'> *"You (pl) have composed tens of messages"

Does the second sentence work?  Do any rules suggest you can or
cannot put plural suffixes on numbers?  How can the above be
expressed, other than a general/vague <QIn law'>... I want to
say "many messages" but also want to indicate the order of
magnitude of tens rather than, say, hundreds.

--
De'vID

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium