tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 27 07:18:50 2004

Re: early/late

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 9:27 AM
Subject: early/late

> Since nobody said anything to the contrary regarding my post "nol", I
guess
> that {Qup} and {qan} can also be used to mean 'early' and 'late'.
> lay'tel SIvten

I wouldn't go that far. I understood what you meant, but only because of
English idioms like "the evening is young". There was nothing in Klingon
that pointed to that meaning, and I don't know if somone with a different
native tongue (specifically, a tongue that doesn't provide a way for an
evening to be "young") would understand it.

A safer way to express "early in the day" would be to use {po} "morning",
with or without {qaStaHvIS}:
{po, mavem} "We wake up in the morning" (A "timestamp" for the action)
{qaStaHvIS po, jIvumnIS} "I have to work in the morning" (The work is
ongoing as the morning goes on.)

For "late at night", you could try:
{tlhoS qaS ramjep, 'ej jIvumtaH} "It's almost midnight, and I was still
working."

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute