tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 22 22:05:32 2004

Re: paghHu'/paghleS

In a message dated 2004-05-22 12:33:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> I don't like that you
> *gave it a novel meaning* in the first place.  If it already has an obvious
> meaning (which you admit that it does), you're stepping out of bounds as a
> student of the language and taking on the role of creator when you "give" a
> word an unobvious meaning.

I overstated when I said that I gave the words a novel meaning.  I pointed
out the OBVIOUS meanings of these latent words.

TKD states that {pagh} is a numeral when it means 'zero'.

Everybody seems agreed that the 'day' words mean "today".  Words with {Hu'}
can't have a future meaning, and words with {leS} can't have a past meaning.
Put the two together and you have words like {paghHu'} and {paghleS}.  Whether
I say that's what they mean or not, that IS what they mean.  Okrand has given
us the words AND the grammar, and this is the result.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level