tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 21 07:46:28 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: pop (n)

QuljIb ([email protected])

"Scott Willis" <[email protected]> wrote:

ghItlhpu' Voragh:
> jonlu'meH wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
> Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. (ST5 notes)

vIghItlh quljIb:
> Comparative-as-subject...interesting. Didn't know you could do that.

jang ngabwI':
>I'm afraid I don't see comparative-as-subject happening here. I see:
>{jonlu'meH} "In order for someone to capture (him/her/it)". Subject is
>indefinite.
>{wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS} "Our Empire's reward is the largest."
[snip]

><genuine curiousity>Where do you see "comparative-as-subject"?></curiousity>

Ahh.  I didn't parse the {-meH} in the sentence as being a seperate subordinate clause.  Instead, I read the whole clause {jonlu'meH wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS} as subordinate to some *other*, unstated sentence.  I'm not precisely sure *why* I did that, as it makes no sense that way...

-quljIb

Back to archive top level