tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 21 07:30:32 2004

Re: paghHu'/paghleS

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

lay'tel SIvten:

>While both of these words basically do mean 'today', each adds its own
>essential nuance. Since {Hu'} indicates a past time, and {leS} indicates a
>future time, {paghHu'} means 'earlier today', and {paghleS} means 'later
>today'.
>Similarly, any of the other pairs of temporal deictic nouns may be used
>with {pagh} with the same added nuance of earlier or later in the indicated
>time period.  These pairs are: wen/waQ (month), ben/nem (year), and ret/pIq
>(general time period).  Thus 'later this month' is {paghwaQ} and 'earlier
>this year' is {paghben}.
>
>These forms are concise and specific, conforming in particular to the
>Klingon ideals of Accuracy and Straightforwardness.

qechlIj vIparHa'qu'.  'ej <paghHu'/paghleS> Dangu'mo', <HochHu'/
HochleS> vInuD.  nuq 'oS <HochHu'>?  <paghHu' wa'Hu' cha'Hu' latlhHu'
je> 'oS <HochHu'>.  rap <HochleS>: <paghleS wa'leS cha'leS latlhleS
je> 'oS.

qechvam vImugh vIneH: <Starting from today, I will try to use only
Klingon here>.  qechlIj vIlo'laH, 'ej vImughchu': <HochleS naDev
tlhIngan Hol neH vIjatlh 'e' vInID>.

maj.  jIbel.

--
De'vID

MSN Premium with Virus Guard and Firewall* from McAfee® Security : 2 months
FREE*