tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 04 22:47:26 2004

bertlham (was Re: Possible Pun)

ja' Voragh:
>For example, here's one of his more obscure musical references:  {bertlham}
>"This word usually refers to the last aria or other musical portion in an
>opera, last speech in a play, last sentence or so of a story or an address.
>The {bertlham} of a well-known work is often well-known itself, as is its
>beginning (bI'reS)."  (HQ 12.2:8-9)  For those unfamiliar with opera
>(including me), this turns out to be a reference to Bertram's rousing aria
>"Nonnes qui reposez" in the last act of Meyerbeer's opera "Robert le
>Diable".  How appropriate that Okrand is a fan of {ghe'naQ nIt}, even if it
>isn't Klingon.

Huh?  "Nonnes qui reposez" is pretty much in the *middle* of the opera.
Unless you've verified this with Dr. Okrand, I'm going to put it in the
same category as {tIn} referring to Stan Laurel, who starred with Oliver
Hardy in a movie called "Be Big".  Talk about reaching...

Try something much less obscure:  Shakespeare's "All's Well that Ends Well".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level