tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 28 05:01:41 2004

two rovers on one verb

Up until yesterday I thought that verb suffixes of type rover were just
another type of verb suffix, like the nine numbered types.  The difference between
rovers and the other nine types is that rovers rove, i.e., they can appear
just about anywhere following the verb root, instead of in a fixed order like the
nine other types.
Then I discovered that rovers are different from types one through nine in a
second way, namely that, unlike the other nine types which can have only one
suffix of each type appearing on a verb at a time, there may be more than one
rover on a verb at a time.

{nuQaw'qu'be'}
    they have not finished us off   [TKD p.48]

{pIHoHvIpbe'qu'}
    we are NOT afraid to kill you   [TKD p.49]

{pIHoHvIpqu'be'}
    we are not AFRAID to kill you   [TKD p.49]

{pIHoHqu'vIpbe'}
    we are not afraid to KILL you   [TKD p.49]

ejyo' luch rurbe'qu' tlhIngan Duj luch.
       Klingon starship design is vastly different from Starfleet technology.
 [SP3]

Is this accurate?  Is it common knowledge?  Are rovers different in any other
ways from the other types of verb suffixes?

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level