tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 22 02:20:10 2004

Re: mIvDaq yIH

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SuStel:

>Or it's an exception, or an error.  Languages aren't always exacting in
>their rules, but the rules represent the general case.  "When the noun-noun
>construction is used, only the second noun can take syntactic suffixes
>(Type
>5)" (TKD p. 31).  Don't take one example and cheerfully throw out a rule of
>TKD.

'e' vIneHbe'. boqchuqbogh cha' DIp vIleghbe'qu'; wot ngabmoHbogh vIlegh:
{telDaq wovmoHwI'mey (tu'lu'bogh)}. mojaqmo' boqchuqbogh cha' DIp vIleghbe'.

I wasn't planning on it, and even if I were, I wouldn't be doing it
cheerfully. I hadn't interpreted this as a noun-noun construction, but a
sentence with an elided verb: {telDaq wovmoHwI'mey (tu'lu'bogh)} "lights
(which are found) on the wing". I didn't even think about interpreting it as
a noun-noun construction, mainly *because* of the suffix {-Daq}.

>A rule may be broken without disproving the rule in general.

jIHvaD qay'law'taH. reH pabbe' *Okrand* mu'tlhegh 'e' vIlIj 'ej jIlIjtaH.
'ach *Wiki*Daq {toQDuj nagh beQ} chovnatlh vIchelbej; Soj'e'
ja'chuqlu'taHvIS potlhtaH 'e' vIHar.
I keep forgetting that canon doesn't always conform perfectly to the rules.
Nevertheless, I'm still going to add the BoP example to the Wiki; it's still
important to the discussion of {X-Daq Y}.

qatlho', SuStel, 'ej Savan.

QeS lagh

Get a Virgin Credit Card and win an adventure:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;8661322;9498324;s?http://www.promo.com.au/virgincreditcard/firstbirthday/track.cfm?source=N92

Back to archive top level