tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 02 16:57:13 2004

Re: ghelmeH mu'tlhegh'e' Sayu'

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SuStel:
>With respect to Okrand and DloraH, one of them has got something wrong.
>The question words are not relative pronouns.  What relative pronouns do in
>English is what relative clauses with {-bogh} do in Klingon.  In English,
>the pronoun "who" (in its accusative form "whom") is used to relate a
>relative clause: "The officer whom I saw."  In Klingon, {-bogh} does this.
>{yaS vIleghbogh}.  The word {'Iv} has nothing to do it.

I'm still not quite sure where I stand on QAO, but I was giving DloraH's
message so Dar'Qang could have a source for your previous message.

That being said, I do tend to think that even Okrand would avoid question
words as relative pronouns. The headless relative {Dajatlhbogh vIyajbe'} on
KCD might provide evidence for that: Okrand used a headless relative clause
rather than attempt a QAO, which would have been expected in that situation
if QAO were legal (something like ??{nuq Dajatlh 'e' vIyajbe'}). Maybe
that's relevant, maybe not.

>The point is that there is no absolutely right answer; say what you mean,
>and don't worry too much about a translation formula.

luq; jIchup neH.

jIchuppu':
>{mu'tlhegh vIjatlh DaneHbogh yIngu'}

jangpu' SuStel:
>Hmm.  Something about this one bothers me.  I think it'd have to be
>something like *{mu'tlhegh vIjatlhbogh DaneHbogh yIngu'}.  In your
>sentence, it looks like you're asking to identify {mu'tlhegh vIjatlh},
>which isn't a noun phrase, rather than a {mu'tlhegh}.  "Choose the
>{mu'tlhegh vIjatlh} that you want."  It doesn't work.

Interesting. This goes on to the idea of nested relative clauses, which I
think you and I have discussed before. Looking back at my original
suggestion, I can see how it might look wrong. Perhaps it would be better if
I used a different verb:

?{mu'tlhegh vIjatlh 'e' Dachupbogh yIngu'}
Identify the sentence which you suggest that I say

I wasn't trying to use {mu'tlhegh vIjatlh} as a noun phrase, but as the
referent of a pronoun {'e'} in the next sentence (but {neH} doesn't use
{'e'}, so probably a bad example). Although, the second one looks strange
now, too. Okay, point conceded.

Savan.

QeS lagh

Open an Online Savings Account today & collect a bonus $30*!
http://clk.atdmt.com/1DG/go/hsb005000991dg/direct/01/

Back to archive top level