tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 30 09:31:23 2004

Re: Help with bible verse

Hakuohalakahiki Dei nucis naHQun El dios de piña ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

I subscribe to the digest-version of the list,
so forgive me if my response is a little delayed.

For those of you that don't know, and those that
have forgotten, the verse in question, "John 3:16",
is the most translated verse in The Bible.  It has been
translated into over 100 languages.  Now it is time for it
to be translated into tlhIngan Hol.  The language is capable of it.
Do not look at this as a religious task, look at it as a linguistic task.
Two different possibilities have been presented to us,
obviously other groups have had their attempts at the verse.
But these people are asking US, The Klingon Language Institute,
to get it right.  If we turn these people down, they will go elsewhere,
or leave with their flawed translations, that we, by our negligence,
allowed to go out into the world.  And every time we come across this
verse
or one of their T-shirts, we'll be reminded of how we turned them down.
We complain that Paramount uses bad Klingon, and wish we could help.
And while this isn't as big as a Star Trek episode, we're being asked to
do
what it is we do best: speak Klingon!

yImughchu'!

*gets off his soap box*