tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 28 08:26:33 2004

Re: taghwI' jIH

chepqu' ([email protected])

> Hov ghajbe'bogh ram rur pegh ghajbe'bogh jaj!

I think I heard this proverb in the Power Klingon tape, but I didn't
recognize it until I translated it. I understand that this is a proverb, so
the wording is already standard; but I find it confusing. I understand
that -bogh is translated as who, whom, that, or which depending on how it is
used. If I understand it well (I'm not sure), the part {pegh ghajbe'bogh
jaj} translates to "a day which has no secret", but also can translate as "a
secret which has no day". Likewise, {Hov ghajbe'bogh ram} translates to "a
night that has no star", but also can translate as "a star which has no
night". I once read something on a HolQeD about those ambiguities and how to
solve them, but this proverb does seem ambiguous ("a secret which has no day
resembles a star which has no night"). Am I missing something about this
proverb?

chepqu' ne'

Back to archive top level