tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 23 09:29:33 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: QoQ (n)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, January 23, 2004.
>
>Klingon word:   QoQ
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     music, musical sound
>
>Additional Notes:
> From Okrand's Notes, HolQeD Vol. 2, No. 4, and KGT.  Used whether or not
> a Klingon voice is participating in producing this sound.
>
>KGT p. 71.  The Klingon word for music is {QoQ}.  This refers to any
>music, vocal or instrumental or both together.

As used in canon:

   QoQ tIv
   He/she enjoys [the] music. KGT

"Though one occasionally hears someone say {QoQ tIv} ('He/she enjoys [the]
music') or {bom tIv} ('He/she enjoys the song'), music is not really
considered something that causes pleasure. Among Klingons, pleasure is
deemed quite unessential for one's well-being. More frequently, the
appreciation of music is expressed in terms of something that music does to
the listener rather than in terms of the listener's reaction. Thus, music
is said to embolden ({jaqmoH}), excite ({SeymoH}), encourage ({tungHa'}),
or to stimulate or inspire ({pIlmoH}). Another common way to say that a
specific piece or performance of music has a particularly strong effect on
a listener is to employ the verb {DuQ} (literally, 'stab'): {muDuQ bom}
('The song stabs me', or, in a more colloquial Federation Standard form,
'The song moves me'). If the music is judged positively--that is, if the
listener likes it--the music is said to be {'ey}, using the word normally
translated as 'delicious' when talking about food. Rendering {'ey bom} as
'The song is good' is acceptable, but it fails to capture the real feeling
of the Klingon." (KGT 71-72)

Cf. also the nouns {bom} "song, chant"; {ghogh} "voice"; {QIch} "speech
(i.e. vocal sounds)" and {wab} "sound, noise".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level