tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 20 14:35:54 2004

RE: DCKL translation problems: {'Im}

Nancy Nielsen-Brown ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

A few thoughts from a cook's perspective on "rendering fat".  Cooks
Illustrated ("America's Test Kitchen") and most cookbooks use the term  to
describe heating the animal product (bacon, salt pork etc) until the fat
portion melts away from the meat. This fat does not boil, but is extremely
flavorful and hot. It may smoke or develop surface ripples, but does not get
"bubbly".  It is used both as flavoring and to saute foods.  I would
consider this to be the intent of 'Im, as it is discussed in the cooking
section, not the butchering section. Butchers and those preparing cooking
supplies (such as lard)  seem to be heating the animal parts to extract the
fat, then solidify it for use by cooling. Maybe they want it to grease their
engines!
I use 'Im to describe the heating and melting of fat from animal parts in
order to fry, saute or otherwise prepare a dish.  Definitely not boiling.

p'an