tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 19 21:36:22 2004

Re: glottal stop in spanish?

jIja'pu':
>>According to my high school Spanish teacher, an excruciatingly correct
>>pronunciation would *never* put a glottal stop in front of a word beginning
>>with [silent] "h".  Someone asking /'abla espan~ol/ would be

ja' Quvar:
>...be what?
>(I don't want to argue, I'm just curious and would like to hear the rest
>of the sentence ;-)

...would be told by her to try again, respecting the "h".
(I don't know where the rest of the sentence went the first time.)

>When I look at the phonetic IPA transcription in my spanish dictionary,
>there is not one single glottal
>stop at all.
>It shows "hacha" like [atSa] not ['atSa]

Right.  As with English, the sound isn't part of the word.  It just shows
up sometimes "by accident" (unless it's pre-empted by the leading "h").

Klingon's glottal stops are explicit.  They have the same status as any
other phoneme in the language (with minor quibbles about whether a doubled
stop actually gets pronounced twice, or if a terminal {'} is followed by an
"echo" of the preceding vowel, etc.)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level