tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 19 13:55:41 2004

Re: -be' with -qu'

Tad Stauffer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

>MorphemeAddict:
>> > and in general how are the meanings of the verb suffixes changed by the
>> > differing positions of the rovers?  tkd doesn't address this very
>> > thoroughly.

Voragh:
>pIHoHvIpbe'qu'
>We are NOT afraid to kill you
>
>pIHoHvIpqu'be'
>We are not AFRAID to kill you.
>
>pIHoHqu'vIpbe'
>We are not afraid to KILL you
>
>Note the last three examples with {-qu'} and {-be'}.

These last 3 examples are in the rover section, on page 49.
The examples are actually capitalized differently (I changed the
capitalization to Voragh's above quote to show where), depending on the
position of {-qu'}, to show what's being emphasized. This shows how {-qu'}
(and presumably {-be'}) emphasizes the suffix/verb right before.

- taD

Back to archive top level