tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 12 16:27:43 2004

Re: Does {teb} appear anywhere in canon?

>ja' Voragh:
> >
> >AFAIK we only have two examples.
> >
> >taD:
> >>In the Power Klingon audio tape, we have the phrase:
> >>
> >>   "Fill a large glass!"
> >>   {HIvje' tIn yIteb}
> >
> >The other is in the Frasier speech:
> >
> >   lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov [rap, ngoQ rap je] Danobpu'bogh
> >   May your journey be filled with the same joy, wisdom, and purpose you
> have
> >   given mine.
> >
> >>So it looks like {teb} is used as:
> >>   {HIvje' teb jabwI'} "The waiter fills the glass"
> >
> >Agreed.
> >
> >>and probably not:
> >>   {HIvje' teb taS} "The liquid solution fills the glass"
> >
> >Agreed.  There's no evidence from canon for this intransitive use of
> >{teb}.

ghunchu'wI':
>The Frasier speech is such evidence, is it not?  leng luteb bel Sov ngoQ je.

I stand corrected.  I saw  "be filled" and thought "passive voice" and
completely ignored the obvious objective verb prefix {lu'-} "they [do
something] to them"!  But stripping off the modifiers, we clearly have:

   lenglIj luteb bel, Sov, ngoQ je
   joy, wisdom and purpose fill your voyage

The intervening {lengwIjvaD} didn't help either!  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level