tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 08 12:39:24 2004

Re: more questions on translating words

Shamammd:
> > ok. i need to know how to say a few more things I am having problems
> > with. this may not be easy and there may be no translation for some
> > of it. how would you say:  i am (this or that object)
> > this wont make sense to anyone so i will give the complete sentence
> > in urdu main tumhari kanhay ki kasam hum...meaning 'I am your only
> > promise.'

Holtej:
>The difficulty is that there is no noun "promise" in Klingon, so you can't
>use the formula shown above.  The verb "to promise" is {lay'}.  Someone more
>skilled at poetic translation will have to offer advice here.

The closest noun we have is {'Ip} "oath".  There's a homophonous verb {'Ip}
"vow, swear".

You might want to contrast these with a similar pair of words:  the noun
{vIt} "truth" and the verb {vIt} "tell the truth".  But without more of the
poem, it's hard to make any recommendation.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level