tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 14:11:33 2004

Re: Possessive pronouns

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:03:54PM -0600, Steven Boozer wrote:

ghobe'.  {marqoS} jIH; {~mark} ghaH latlh'e'.

> This is a bigger question:  Is a baby an "it" {'oH} or a "s/he" {ghaH}?  I
> would imagine the latter, as they have - as a class - the inherent
> capability of using language (like a deaf-mute).

Okay, that's two votes for "Kids are people too".  I'll go with that until
we get clarification one way or another from OkraNd HIGH. :)

Satlho'qa'.

> (You know, I bet Okrand really wishes he had just said "considered people"
> instead of "capable of using language" in TKD.  It sure would have avoided
> all those recurring questions about androids, answering machines, talking
> computers, deaf-mutes, stroke victims, pets and babies!)

I'm sure he thought he was avoiding a large class of such questions by
not using the usual "animate/inanimate" terms.  Ah, well. :)

-marqoS

Back to archive top level