tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 13:14:06 2004

Re: Possessive pronouns

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 01:59:52PM -0500, Scott Willis wrote:
> "ya'll's" ("you" pl.) {-raj}
> "his/hers/it's" {-Daj}

Two minor spelling corrections on the English: those should be spelled
"y'all's" (the {'} takes the place of the {ou } that is dropped from
"you all") and "its" ("it's" can only mean "it is").

And a couple questions, because it's been a while and I've forgotten
a lot of this stuff:

1. ISTR (although my copy is at home and I can't look right now) that {-Daj}
   is glossed only as "his/her[s]" in TKD, not as "its".  Is there evidence
   elsewhere that inanimate objects (things incapable of using language)
   can be possessors as well as possessed?  Could you, when talking about some
   planet, say {monDaj} to refer to "its capital"?  Or would you have to
   fall back on a noun-noun construction?

2. How are nouns which are temporarily incapable of using language treated?
   For instance, my 3.5-week-old son is definitely incapable of using
   language at the moment, but I fully expect him to be capable of using it
   in the future.  So is he {puqloDwIj} or {puqloDwI'}?

-Mark

Back to archive top level