tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 14:59:03 2004

Re: MOST terminology

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

> > >'ach lut ja'nISbe' HaSta.  DIvI' Hol vIjatlhtaHchugh, "movie" vIDelmeH,
> > >yapbe' "moving image" neH.  "Moving image which tells a story"
> vIlo'nIS.

latlh Holmey yIqel je! GermanyDaq <movie>vaD <Film> ponglu'. lut qellu'be'.
vIHtaHbogh <image> qellu'be'. Hap qellu'! <movie> lInglu'meH mep beQqu'
lo'lu' (nav rur).

Don't always think english. In German or Dutch, for instance, a movie is
called a Film. This does not describe a "story" nor "moving images". It's the
material used to put the images on!

> > potlhmo' lut, yap'a' <HaSta lut>?

I would not understand "visual display story", nor would you understand
"images on a plastic strip"...

> QI'yaH!!  jISovbe'!  reH 'e' vImaq!  chIch 'e' vI'ang!  ma - Sov - be'!!
> bISovchu''a' SoH'e'?  yIjang jay'!  maghojmeH maHvaD SovlIj nIv yI'ang.

SuStel is right to get angry. We don't know what that word is in klingon,
and we don't even know if there is any at all! So why bother?

A general advice, which I repeat frequently:
        There are several thousand of words, hundreds of affixes, tons of
proverbs, more than fifty idiomatic expressions plus the same amount of slang
words -- Learn these first before you struggle with new words that do not
exist (yet).

Quvar.

P.S.: I don't want to attack anyone, this is also an advice especially for
beginners!