tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 14:01:57 2004

Re: KLBC pawpu' DIS chu'

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

> > > I considered {tagh} as well, but its gloss suggested to me that it's
> > > typically a transitive verb: I begin a process.

Yes, that's correct. But we shouldn't stick the word "transitive" to the
klingon words. I think we came to the convention that Klingons don't bother
about this difference, since they do not talk about grammar. One can say, though,
that the english translation is transitive or not.

Some klingon words can take an object, some don't, and some do both like
this one. But we cannot generalize.

From TKW we got the "transitive meaning":
   Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je tIqaw.
   When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Mellota

> Don't forget the canon phrase {taghbej mu'qaD veS}.

From Power Klingon: "Curse-warfare has definitely begun."

This one (translation) is intransitive. So the verb {tagh} is transitive and
intransitive on the same time.

Quvar.