tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 11:13:42 2004

Re: Beginner questions

d'Armond Speers, Ph.D. ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

[email protected] wrote:
> Can someone give me the numbers from 1 - 100, then the one for 1000,
> 10,000, 50,000 100,000 then 1,000,000, please? I got some of them
> from the WOTD list
> in yahoo, but spread out. I need to get them together to learn them.
> So far,
> only have 3, 5,7 and 10. Sorry, I don't have dictionary and have to
> rely on website info already published. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated. Numbers are as valuable as the letters of the alphabet,
> IMHO The first things I learn in
> a language is the alphabet, pronunciations, then the numbers, so if
> anyone could help, please.

Okay, here's a short primer on numbers.

0 - pagh
1 - wa'
2 - cha'
3 - wej
4 - loS
5 - vagh
6 - jav
7 - Soch
8 - chorgh
9 - Hut

Tens are indicated with the number forming element {maH}.

10 - wa'maH
20 - cha'maH
30 - wejmaH

11-99 is formed by taking the multiple of 10 and adding the one.  So...

11 - wa'maH wa'
12 - wa'maH cha'
13 - wa'maH wej
20 - cha'maH
21 - cha'maH wa'
30 - wejmaH
31 - wejmaH wa'
98 - HutmaH chorgh
99 - HutmaH Hut

100 is formed with the number forming element {vatlh}

100 - wa'vatlh
101 - wa'vatlh wa'
110 - wa'vatlh wa'maH
257 - cha'vatlh vaghmaH Soch

1,000 is formed with {SaD} or {SanID}
10,000 is formed with {netlh}
100,000 is formed with {bIp}
1,000,000 is formed with {'uy'}

Ordinals are formed are formed with {-DIch}.

First - wa'DIch
Twelfth - wa'maH cha'DIch
999th - Hutvatlh HutmaH HutDIch

Repetition is indicated with {-logh}

Once - wa'logh
Twice - cha'logh
Four thousand times - loSSaDlogh

Syntactically, bare numbers can come before the noun or after it.  If it's
before the noun, as in {wa' Duj}, it's counting: "one ship."  If it's after
the noun, it's numbering: {Duj wa'} means "ship number one."

Ordinals follow the noun.  {Duj wa'DIch} is "the first ship."  Ordinals
don't act adverbially; you cannot say: {wa'DIch pach vISop} "First, I'll eat
the claw."

Numbers with {-logh} are adverbials.  {wa'logh toQDuj vIlegh}.  "I saw a
Bird of Prey once."  {Hutlogh jagh vIDuQ} "I stabbed the enemy 9 times."

This should be enough to get you started at least.

> weQqul
> HovpoH 4004.4567711093

--Holtej
HovpoH 4004.71