tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 26 11:02:40 2004

Virus Mail (not) on the list

Mark E. Shoulson ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

We had a few emails come through this list this month sent by a computer
virus (actually, a worm).  Please note a few things about computer
viruses/worms/other malware:

(1) Just because the header says it's coming from person X, that does
not mean that person X's computer is actually infected.  (I get dozens
of emails a week of virus-mails supposedly from me that are bouncing,
and I *know* my computers aren't infected).  When one of these programs
takes over a computer, not only does it mail itself to all the addresses
it can find in the address-book, it often mails itself out *AS* those
addresses, pretending to be coming from other people.  (In our
particular case, one of our subscribers really did have an "infection"
which was sending mail out.  But this is an important thing to know
anyway, since you could conceivably get mail *masquerading* as being
from the mailing list or something).

(2) Virus-email cannot travel through this mailing list.  The
mailing-list software is programmed to filter out attachments.  If you
look closely at your email-archives (you keep all the non-spam mail that
comes into your mailbox, don't you?) you'll find that the posts in
question were *empty*.  Just attachment-containers with nothing in
them.  You'll see the same in the online archive at
/tlhIngan-Hol/2004/August/  So if you got infected,
don't blame us, it didn't come from us *or* through us.

(3) Even if it did, somehow... please, talk to us first before
complaining to your ISP.  Our sysadmin got some flak from AOL because of
some complaints that our list was helping to distribute the virus.  He
doesn't need that kind of hassle, and neither does anyone else.  Please
bring it to our attention first so we can see what's happening on our
end before escalating it to The Net Police or whatever.

Thanks very much.

~mark

Back to archive top level