tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 13 07:38:05 2004

Re: reading quadrants (was: Re: Klingon WOTD: jogh (n)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ghunchu'wI':

>Star Trek galactic maps are all over the web.  The order is
>BETA  | ALPHA
>------+------
>DELTA | GAMMA

Interesting; I never knew this order. (But then, I don't watch all that much
Star Trek, either.)

jangpu' lay'SIv:
>That order seems so totally screwed up to me.

Hmm... I can understand how it might be logical in terms of exploration. If
we start in the Alpha quadrant (because we're basically an egocentric race),
and we then name the other quadrants in the order that they're explored,
then the Beta and Gamma quadrants would have been explored first, and thus
got the earlier names. The galactic core stands between the Alpha and Delta
quadrants, meaning that the Delta quadrant was likely explored last.

(Caveat lector: Doesn't mean I agree with it; only that I can understand how
it might have happened. But then, I didn't create the Star Trek universe, I
just live in it. <g>)

QeS lagh

In the market for a car? Buy, sell or browse at CarPoint:
http://server-au.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/b?cg=link&ci=ninemsn&tu=http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au?refid=hotmail_tagline

Back to archive top level