tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 11 16:18:37 2004

Re: {puv} {'or} je

QeS lagh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu':
>We have the separate verb {'or} for "to fly (a craft)"

jangpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>"fly" Sojvam vIQIj 'e' vInIDmeH jIjatlh: "v.  pilot, operate (an aircraft)"
>bIH *'or* rapbogh _mu'mey chu' tetlh_ DIvI' Hol mu'mey'e'.
>pa' "fly" laDlu'be'.
>In an effort to help clarify this "flying" issue, the gloss for {'or} is
>"v.  pilot, operate (an aircraft)".  "Fly" per se is not mentioned,
>although it can obviously (?) be inferred.

>To fly an aircraft means to control its flight, not merely to 'operate' it,
>which can involve taxiing and other actions on the ground.

Agreed. However, actions on the ground constitute only a very short amount
of time compared to the time taken for the whole flight. (Unless you happen
to be flying on the Australian airline Jetstar, of course. ;D) Flying's by
far the most important action the {'orwI'} performs (except, perhaps, for
landing). Unless context told me otherwise, I'd usually interpret {'or} as
having something to do with controlling the aircraft in the air, probably
not on the ground.

QeS lagh

In the market for a car? Buy, sell or browse at CarPoint:
http://server-au.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/b?cg=link&ci=ninemsn&tu=http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au?refid=hotmail_tagline

Back to archive top level