tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 02 13:59:17 2004

Re: mu' lo' QaQ 'oSbogh mu'tlheghmey

In a message dated 2004-08-02 12:06:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> ja' lay'tel SIvten:
> >I have been using 'expert' as someone who is fluent enough in the language
> >be able to say what he wants without being concerned about how to say it.
>
> To me that is not a good definition of "expert."  Not being concerned about
> how to say something is what leads to mistakes.
>
> SuSvaj

Learning from mistakes is how one improves.  Someone long ago told me that in
the course of learning a language a person makes about 5000 mistakes.  I try
to make them as fast as possible.  :-)
Besides, my point was that the speaker is not concerned about how to say what
he wants because he is confident that he knows how to say it.
If he is wrong, then feedback from other people lets him know.  When I use
English I am not concerned about *how* to say what I want; that comes almost
automatically.  I only worry about *what* I want to say.  That's the level of
skill I want in Klingon.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level