tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 21 10:04:48 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: jaH (v)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, April 21, 2004.
>
>Klingon word:   jaH
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     go

As used in canon:

   jIjaH
   I go. KLS

   pa'Daq yIjaH
   Go to the room! (TKD 27)]

   pa'vo' yIjaH
   Leave the room! ("Go from the room!") TKD

   jolpa'Daq yIjaH
   (Clipped: jolpa' yIjaH)
   Go to the transport room! TKD

   teplIj yIwoH 'ej pa'lIjDaq yIjaH!
   Pick up your baggage and go to your room. CK

   naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?
   Can we get to the Great Hall from here? PK

   jolpa' yIjaH.  Qapla'!
   To the transport room. Success! ST3

   may'Daq jaHDI' SuvwI' juppu'Daj lonbe'
   When a warrior goes to a battle, he does not abandon his
   friends. TKW

   'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH
   I travel the river of blood. TKW

Okrand on verbs of motion and {-Daq} in TKD:

   There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions, such
   as {ghoS} "approach, proceed". The locative suffix [{-Daq}] need not
   be used on nouns which are the objects of such verbs ... If the
   locative suffix is used with such verbs, the resulting sentence is
   somewhat redundant, but not out-and-out wrong. (TKD 28)

Will Martin interviewed Okrand in HolQeD (December 1998):

   MO: Here's the way {jaH} works. {jaH} can be used, using your
       terminology both transitively and intransitively. So, {bIQtIqDaq
       jIjaH} is "I go in the river." I'm moving along in the river,
       traveling in the river. You can also say {bIQtIqDaq vIjaH} ...
   WM: You'd still use the {-Daq}?
   MO: Yes. But you don't have to. That would be the way. {-Daq} or no
       {-Daq}. The prefix makes the difference in meaning. {jI-} means
       I'm moving along in someplace. {vI-} means I'm moving along to
       someplace. You cannot say {bIQtIq jIjaH}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level