tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 17 21:50:49 2004

KLBC: "while they tried to escape"

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ngabwI', I'm translating some of Alan Dean Foster's "The Last Starfighter"
for practice (the vocabulary's very good for translation into Klingon), but
I've already come across a hairy sentence, on the very first page: "while
they struggled frantically to regroup".

I was just going to simplify this to "while they tried to regroup". I was
originally thinking {ghomqa' 'e' lunIDtaHvIS} but an aspect suffix is
illegal here, and if I can't use {-taH}, I can't use {-vIS} either.
{ghomqa'taHvIS 'e' lunID} doesn't work, since {-taHvIS} marks a subordinate
clause, and for a subordinate clause to exist it has to have something to be
subordinate to.

What can I do?? :)

QeS lagh

You could be a genius! Find out by taking the IQ Test 2003. $5.50 (incl
GST).  Click here:  http://sites.ninemsn.com.au/minisite/testaustralia/

Back to archive top level